Overtime: Mar 4 – 10
More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- Global art market shows signs of growth for second year in a row.
- The global art market reached $67.4 billion in 2018, up 6%.
- Basquiat leads £93.2 million Sotheby’s sale of contemporary art.
- £38 million Hockney powers Christie’s contemporary sale.
- Subdued week of London auctions ends with £36.4 million contemporary art sale at Phillips.
- Sotheby’s will offer 100-plus Steinberg collection works, including two Rothkos, in New York in May.
- 7 artists who stole the show at New York's Spring/Break.
- Sales at New York’s Armory Show prove more stable than its venue.
- The 20 best booths at The Armory Show 2019.
- ARTnews’s complete Armory Week 2019 coverage.
- A recent history of the hotel art fair, from the Gramercy Hotel to a Comfort Inn.
- Curator Ralph Rugoff reveals plans and artist list for 2019 Venice Biennale.
- Jack Shainman Gallery to mount first Paul Anthony Smith show in April.
- Smaller galleries rely on just one artist for almost half their income, report finds.
- Galleries are focusing on female artists to tackle the industry's gender divide.
- Bosco Sodi unveils colossal ‘city of cubes’ on the Oaxacan coast.
- Atelier Van Lieshout’s doomsday devices take us back to the Industrial Revolution.
- Sean Scully’s figurative leap.
- The visionary work of Matthew Barney.
- The rediscovery of Robert Duran.
- Cristina BanBan combines anime and neoclassicism in her depictions of the female figure.
- Why is work by female artists still valued less than work by male artists?
- Inside Kiki Smith’s Magical World of work that spans four decades.
- Trailblazing feminist performance artist Carolee Schneemann has died aged 79.
- At 86, sculptor Kay Hofmann is making waves in Chicago.
- Photographer Mona Kuhn reflects on mysticism and modernism in Joshua Tree.
- Naima Green captures the many faces of the queer community.
- Daido Moriyama wins $110,000 Hasselblad Award for photography.
- Christina Quarles wins inaugural $50,000 Pérez Prize from PAMM.
- With painterly precision artist Georgia Gardner Gray reveals female fears.
- Erika Verzutti’s play with the soft and the hard.
- Watch artist Trenton Doyle Hancock render his superhero alter ego.
- Carnegie Prize winner Lynette Yiadom-Boakye explores fiction in painting.
- Artists Larry Achiampong and David Blandy probe the pseudoscience behind how we think about race.
- Hank Willis Thomas to design Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial.
- New York to build monuments to four more female trailblazers.
- The strange, singular vision of Milwaukee outsider artist Bernard Gilardi.
- The Haas Brothers’ playful monsters are now a homeware line.
- Collezione Maramotti’s extraordinary art collection continues to evolve.
- The CIA agent who became a visionary art collector.
- 4 secrets to living a bold, creative life.
- Experts suggest Leonardo da Vinci drew ‘Nude Mona Lisa’.
- Harsh realities lurk behind picturesque Impressionist masterpieces.
- Why do so many Egyptian statues have broken noses?
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.