Overtime: Oct 15 – 21
More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- In advance of the midterms, Barbara Kruger reprises MOCA mural that asks 'Who is beyond the law?'
- Jenny Holzer speaks out about the added impact of the abuse of power in the Trump era.
- Fierce Pussy releases poster urging people to vote.
- New York museums drop Saudi funding after journalist’s murder.
- Khashoggi scandal leads art world to rethink ties to Saudi Crown Prince.
- The 11 best booths at the 45th edition of the International Contemporary Art Fair (FIAC).
- At Hong Kong’s latest round of auctions, work by western artists reached a new high.
- Identity thieves scammed Sotheby’s out of $5 million, the FBI Says.
- Christie’s will offer five works from the de Menil Family, including a rare masterpiece Rothko.
- How is the market for Middle Eastern art faring?
- Jerry Saltz: How does the art world live with itself.
- What do art critics actually do?
- Back from the brink of bankruptcy, China’s UCCA launches new seaside museum.
- The 57th Carnegie International in Pittsburgh is beautiful but safe.
- MCA Santa Barbara names Abaseh Mirvali as executive director and chief curator.
- A new documentary perfectly captures the passion and absurdity of the art market.
How high art helped make Paris’s gallery scene hip again.
- Artist Andrea Fraser’s "2016 in Museums, Money, and Politics" is an all about art reference book.
- ‘Colour became the subject’—Phoebe Unwin on her new series of paintings.
- Why Yasumasa Morimura places himself in art history’s most famous scenes.
- A new exhibition at Alison Jacques Gallery, explores what it means to be a woman artist.
- A brief history of female rage in art.
- After four decades, painter Joan Semmel still refuses to romanticize the human body.
- Anni Albers weaves her magic at Tate Modern.
- Why we need to bust old myths about artist-brand collaborations.
- New Banksy video shows how his sensational Sotheby’s stunt was SUPPOSED to work.
- Northern California artists rebuild from the ashes a year after the devastating wildfires.
- How Sigmund Freud’s massive art collection influenced his theories.
- Charles White is the reason why Kerry James Marshall and David Hammons became artists.
- The 19th-Century Botanist who changed the course of photography.
- Pop artist Mel Ramos, best known for his racy depictions of women and candy, dies at 83.
- Bruce Nauman’s seismic impact on contemporary art goes unnoticed.
- ‘It’s hard at this particular moment to be optimistic’—Edward Burtynsky on the future of the planet.
- Artists are taking back control at the São Paulo Biennial.
- Sex Pistols artist Jamie Reid calls out Hirst and Emin as Thatcher's children.
The art practice that Dr. Seuss kept hidden from the world.
- The puppeteer and costume designer who made Big Bird beloved by millions.
- This is the art dealer who once fired Van Gogh from his only stable job.
- Psychorealism by the sea with Grace Pailthorpe and Reuben Mednikoff.
- Legendary designer Paula Scher on how to get started in graphic design.
- How four months in Martinique helped Gauguin make his name.
4 expert tips for making a winning art school portfolio.
- 6 artists working as teachers share the lessons they’ve learned.
- How nuclear testing transformed the land in Nevada and New Mexico.
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.