Fashion Friday: Shopping Like Your Mama
I wore some high heels last weekend to dinner and felt a tad wobbly in them- then realized that’s because I NEVER wear heels anymore. I have come to value comfort as much as style now that my life is crazy busy with a toddler, and so my wardrobe is slowly shifting from binding party clothes (a la Cher Horowitz) to more comfortable, but still stylish basics. Ain’t nobody got time to be uncomfortable in their clothing. And while I still think I dress pretty decent, I have noticed more “mom store” items creeping into my atmosphere. Now I have not gone so far as to start ordering from Soft Surroundings and living in mumus, but I have noticed that traditional “mature women’s” shops have been stepping up their game a bit more when it comes to design and fit. Chico’s has some seriously cool jewelry with a MArni-esque vibe, Talbots has had some awesome shoes as of late, and Ann Taylor has greatly improved their fit and style. Even Garnet Hill has a bunch of stuff that I’ve dog-eared in the catalog. So here are some recent finds that I think work equally well on someone 25 as it would on a 55 year old. Lesson learned: never write off any store because it seems too “mom”. :)
- I’ve been eyeing this long cashmere cardi in Garnet Hill for a few months.
- An amazing, huge statement necklace for under $70 from Chicos- great with an LBD or sleek black top with jeans.
- Ordering these croc Talbots wedges for summer- the perfect neutral show for sundresses.
- Another Talbots win- a Chanel-like tweed jacket– great with jeans and heels.
- A long statement tassel necklace from Chico’s
- ADORABLE leopard hide low heels– comfort AND style. Perfect with cropped black pants.
- An awesome leather bag with tassel detail on sale for $135!
- I LOVE the color and texture of this top, and paired with jeans, a black leather jacket and leopard heels it would be amazing for date night!
- A simple black dress with great lace up front detail.
- Awesome tassel earrings in a chic shade of grey.
- This bamboo clutch is perfect for any summer night out. Goes with everything.
- I love the taupe color of this striped tee shirt dress (great with that green military jacket too!)
- This slouchy cashmere poncho + white jeans, sandals and big earrings is a SUPER easy outfit that also looks really fabulous.
- Cool shades.
- The bell sleeve detail on this blouse is super on-trend.
- I own these chandelier earrings (see them on me in this article from Boston Home Magazine) and I looooooooove them. LOVE.
- The beaded shoulder detail on this cardi-jacket is pretty cool- I’d pair it with a black cami, jeans and black heels.
- Super slimming cropped pants with a slight flare. Awesome for spring dressing.
- Another cashmere poncho– this time with pom pom details.
- I am currently super obsessed with this shade of blue, and the tiny print and cut of this dress is awesome for summer nights (or vacation!)
- These striped Superga sneakers are darling- white jeans and tee and you’re off in style.
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.